Carson Reed

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Avery Grace

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 5, 2010

November

I guess I've been slacking on timely posts again.....life gets in the way of blogging. I'm apparently now just going to do monthly updates. ;-)

Let's see if I can remember any highlights......

- We took Carson to the Children's Discovery Museum in Bloomington on 11/13. I think he had a lot of fun! I wish we had something like that in Peoria, but Bloomington's not that far. He's not quite ready for some of the activities, but it will be a blast as he gets older. They do have a toddler room that he really seemed to enjoy. Fun day!
Some of my favorite pics from the day:



- Daddy's birthday! Lucas' birthday was the 15th. Another year older. :-) We didn't do anything terribly exciting to celebrate, but I hope he had a nice birthday anyway!

- Surgery. :-( Lucas had surgery on the 19th to repair an umbilical hernia. I tried not to think about it until the day arrived, but I was pretty nervous the day of. I know that it's a routine procedure, but any surgery/anesthesia makes me worry. He did just fine though and came home that night. He was in some decent pain that weekend and couldn't pick up Carson for several days. I think that was the hardest on him. He seems to be doing well now though - thank goodness! I won't embarrass him and post the picture of him in his cap and gown......he owes me one. ;)

- Carson had a rough month at daycare. Cut on the forehead and numerous bites. Good thing he's so tough! The teachers do all they can - it's tough to keep your eye on so many toddlers at once! :-)
Here's Carson showing off his forehead (and new haircut):
By the way, this, I believe, makes our third official haircut (not including the cutting of the "tail" at 5 weeks)! His hair grows so fast! Aunt Mandy did a great job as usual. I couldn't help but feel a little sad though as I took my little boy home. He looks so much older! I've gotten used to it though and I think he's pretty adorable. :-) Here's a before shot - so much hair!
And here's one of many bites that he got in November. :-(

- More teeth! I posted previously that Carson (finally) had a new tooth coming in. Well, there are 4 new ones coming in altogether now. Three molars (including the one in the earlier post) and one in front. The front one is taking the lead and is about halfway through. Those molars are taking their time though and just barely poking through. Hopefully, they'll all pop up soon and put an end (temporarily) to all the drool! :-)

- Also in November, Mr. Independent began feeding himself with a spoon (around 11/20 - 14 mos.). He's always trying to do things on his own lately - walk vs. be carried, put on his shoes and coat - so I wasn't surprised. It definitely makes for a messier meal-time, but he's got to learn somehow I guess. :-) He's so proud of himself when he gets it to his mouth! It's so much fun to watch him learn new things.
He also loves to go outside. Like I said, he's always grabbing his coat and shoes, like we're going somewhere. He's always trying to take big sister with him too. :-)


- Emma had her second full chemo treatment on the 23rd. They told us that she's responding very well to the treatments so far and, for now, she's considered to be in remission! Woo hoo! That doesn't necessarily mean that her time with us will be extended from their original prognosis, but it's still very good news. It also means that they could decide to give her a different kind of chemo next time (and save the current "tough stuff" for when it comes back again full-force). We we very happy for the news. She's seems to be feeling pretty good too. She finished with the steroids which were making her VERY hungry/thirsty and HOT. She seems to be over the side-effects from that now. She is having trouble with her knees, which makes us very sad. We'd hoped to have surgery to help with her pain, but that was off the table once we were given her diagnosis. She'd been doing well and not limping much. But this week has been pretty bad. I'm not sure if it's all the activity (we had a photo shoot and we went to see Santa) or the cold weather.....or the weight gain (due to the aforementioned HUNGER)! :) Hopefully, rest will help! We're grateful for every moment we have with her. :-)
- Thanksgiving! We celebrated our 2nd Thanksgiving with the little man. My sister and family came home for the holiday. They haven't been home since last Thanksgiving, so it was wonderful to see them all and I was excited for them to see how much Carson has changed. The visit was cut short though due to illness. Carson started running a fever on Thanksgiving day. Then, my nephew Jake ended up with a stomach bug. :-( Carson's fever continued until Sunday morning - staying between 102 and 103 for four days. Two doctors' visits later, they agreed it was just a virus and would need to run its course. Thankfully, it broke Sunday morning after reaching 103.4. I hate it when he gets fevers like that. He's just so miserable! He just wants to cuddle, which is nice, don't get me wrong. But I hate to get my cuddles that way. I guess it worked out that I was off work already for the holiday and he was better just in time to go back to school. It kind of stinks that all of our time off of work goes to surgery, chemo treatments and illness. But I know that it could be worse!

Carson playing with his cousins - Samantha and Jacob


- "Uh - Oh!" Carson seems to have developed his own little language lately and continually chatters. I can't understand 99% of it....but it's pretty cute. The clearest new "word" is "uh-oh!" That's pretty much his response to everything lately. :-) At least I can understand that one!

That brings us to December....we'll see if I can keep up better this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment