2 years ago
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Weaning
So.... I've been really struggling for the past couple of weeks with the idea of weaning. Breastfeeding is a totally personal decision and everyone is different. And I make absolutely NO judgments of what anyone else chooses to do - whether or not they do it all, how long, etc. And I wouldn't want anyone else to judge me either. I always knew that I was going to try nursing. In my opinion, I thought it was what was best for him. I wasn't excited about it.....but I was going to do it. And the first probably 8 weeks were HARD. We just didn't get it right in the beginning. But then we finally figured it out. In my mind, I was going to see how it worked once I started back to work and not place any timelines on it. If I only made it a few weeks, I was going to try not to be too hard on myself. And we'd just see how it went. But I also had in mind that 6 mos. would be the absolute longest I would go. I honestly didn't think we would get that far. But now, all of a sudden, my baby is 6 mos. old. I can't believe it. So rationally (to me), it's time to stop nursing. I'd set a date. I should stop. So why is it so hard?? I guess it really is true that it's a bonding experience. For both of us I think. And I know it's good for him - and he's been sick so much. It's is the one sure way I can soothe him when he's fussy. But I'm only able to nurse in the mornings and on the weekends since I work. So I should be able to stop. It's not like he doesn't take a bottle well. And it's not like it's not a bonding moment w/ a bottle. I guess I'm really just worried that he's not going to like formula. That all of a sudden, I'm going to have no supply and he's going to refuse formula or something. But seriously - look at him. :-) He likes to eat. I think he's going to like formula just like everything else. I think that I'm just a natural worrier....and procrastinator. :-) We Blands tend to talk about things a lot and not do them right away. Anyway, I finally sucked it up and gave Carson a bottle (well, half) of formula today. I did half formula, half milk. And....he drank it like a champ! I don't know what I was so worried about. I think we'll try 1/2 and 1/2 this week while we're home at night. He doesn't always eat so great at daycare and I don't want to waste any milk if he doesn't finish the bottle. So, I guess I'll keep trying to cut down my pumping schedule. We have a lot of frozen milk that we can supplement for a while. There's just a lot of guilt. I've been very lucky that it's gone well. I could keep going. Pumping at least. But selfishly, it's just really a lot of work. I personally think that I've given him a great start, but I think there's always guilt when you stop. I look around at other moms who are still going and their babies are much older. But, again, personal choices. Everyone's different. I think it's time for me. I just hope he continues to drink formula well. And I hope that my guilt goes away. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment