On March 5, 2012, at 8:09 AM, we welcomed Avery Grace to our family! She weighed in at 8 lbs. 8 oz. and was 20 3/4 inches long! What a blessing! I'm beyond relieved to have her here safely in our arms!
We arrived at the hospital at 5:00 AM for the scheduled 7:30 surgery. Went up to triage and got hooked up right away. I felt grateful to have her on monitors. I was so worried about something going wrong at the last moment. They did blood work and got 2 IVs going while we waited. Mandy was first to arrive (w/ baby Fletcher). Then Margie and Bob got there. (Mom was home w/ Carson. She spent the night Sunday at our house since we had to leave so early. She stayed w/ him Monday night too so Lucas could spend the night at the hospital w/ us). I got wheeled back right around 7:30. They started the spinal. I was so nervous. I hate that part. They tell you to relax and breathe as they're about to stick a giant needle in your back! The nurse held my hand and it was over fairly quickly. Just a little pinch w/ the first shot (to numb it) before the spinal. It took a bit to get the numbness high enough - they had to tilt me back a couple of times. They brought Lucas in and got started. At 8:09 AM, we heard the most wonderful scream/cry and I instantly started crying myself. She was perfect. Her Apgar scores were 8 and 9. It was such an absolute and overwhelming sense of relief to know that she was healthy. They brought her over so I could see her before taking her to the nursery. I felt like I was having difficulty breathing as they stitched me up. Just a heaviness in my chest. They gave me a sedative which seemed to help. They warned me that it might make me drowsy and I was worried about that because I didn't want to miss anything, but I was too excited to get too sleepy. :) They took her to the nursery and Lucas went with her while they finished me. Before I knew it, I was in the recovery room. Feeling really good. I asked them if I could have her brought to recovery. They'd told me prior to surgery that that was the new protocol w/ C-sections - to have the baby brought to the mom. They called over and said that I wanted to see her. All of a sudden, she arrived w/ Daddy. We did skin-to-skin and attempted to nurse. I didn't realize how difficult that would be since I was flat on my back and couldn't move. :) But a lactation consultant came back and tried to help us. I've had differing opinions for sure on the consultants I've encountered, but she was really great. I had her later in the week too. Anyway, Avery wasn't really interested but we made an attempt and Kristine said the skin-to-skin was most important anyway. She went off to get her bath, etc. after that and then I got moved to our room. I was disappointed that it was a double-room (although no roomie at the time). They said they'd move me to a private room when ready. (They later told me around noon that one was available but we didn't end up moving until 9 that night, and after much nagging on my part! :) )
I had issues that first day with hemorrhaging. They gave me two different medications to stop the bleeding and help contract my uterus faster. They came in and changed me every 30 minutes (vs. every couple of hours). At one point they had to page the doctor and call in the "hemorrhage cart" and the room filled w/ nurses and the doctor on call. Twice, the doctors had to come in and help try to manually help remove the blood clots. Sorry - gross! Anyway, lots of pushing on stomach, etc. It was very uncomfortable for sure! Thank God I had the Duramorph during the surgery. It's a morphine that they give at time of surgery and it's supposed to last 24 hours after. It replaces any other pain meds that first day. It was amazing! Such a dramatic difference from the day of surgery w/ Carson! I don't think I would've been able to handle the days events w/out it! I had the best nurses that day as well. Anyway, bleeding finally got under control. I felt pretty weak and lightheaded the rest of the day. Overall though, my recovery was SO MUCH better than with Carson. I was up that night - standing next to the bed. They had me walk to the bathroom very early the next morning. They took out the catheter the next day and I was up walking around the room and down the hall that afternoon. I was able to shower that next day. That helped so much to feel like normal. It's hard being stuck in a bed all day.
Lucas spent the night the first night. The rest of my stay, he came up and stayed w/ us during the day before leaving late afternoon to go get Carson. It was kind of hard being alone so much, but it ended up going really well. Time flew by fairly quickly. And as I said, I was moving around much better so that helped a lot! I was at least able to get out of bed and change her diaper when needed, etc. She went to the nursery in the evenings so I could try to rest. The first night, I literally only had an hour of total sleep w/ everyone in and out of my room all night. The next two nights were better, but Miss Avery liked to marathon nurse. We came home on Thursday, March 8th.
Overall, pain was very tolerable and has been since coming home too. I've since had a spot in my incision which has opened up and gotten infected. :( Big setback but I'm starting to feel better again. On antibiotics. Similar to w/ Carson. Hopefully on the mend though and can get the clear to lift her in her carrier soon. :)
.JPG) |
| Daddy showing off his scrubs |
 |
| His sexy look?? :) |
 |
| Aunt Mandy |
 |
| Meeting Mommy |
 |
| Getting checked out and having bath |
 |
| She loved getting her hair washed. I can't believe she was born with all of that hair!! |
 |
| Grandma Margaret |
 |
| Carson meeting Avery. Totally not interested. :) |
 |
| Nana |
 |
| Daddy and Big Brother |
 |
| Nana and Papa |
 |
| Long piggies!! |
 |
| Going home! |
 |
| We're here! |
No comments:
Post a Comment